Saturday, March 19, 2005

Eternity: Why I Believe in God

I will state this now before I continue: I was born and raised a Catholic. Though today I would not consider myself super-Catholic, I still definitely adhere to the fundamental ideology that it possesses. The institution is less important to me than the core beliefs, even if the core beliefs are sometimes veiled by human nonsense (I find this true in any religion though). The reason I mention this is because in any discussion about God, I am likely to be biased towards believing in God, since I was raised my whole life believing in God. HOWEVER, I will attempt to come at this concept from a logical standpoint, without using religious precepts or ideas as my foundation.

I have mentioned before (I think...) that I believe that there is something eternal because in order for there to be an existence that has a clear beginning, there must have been something before that. We know that at least this iteration of the universe has a clear beginning, even if it is in a constant state of birth, death, and rebirth. Nonetheless, no matter how many universes existed before ours and after ours, if it can change than it once had an original form. Furthermore, if it can end, it must have a beginning (something can never end if it never starts, right? Think of it this way: with movies, books, stories, songs, etc., you can never arrive at the end, unless you begin it). If something has a beginning, it cannot be eternal.

By definition, eternity is, "Time without beginning or end; infinite time." (dictionary.com). This is the first definition that appears, and the least case-specific (meaning that the word takes on different meanings when applied to different ideas, events, or things). So, our universe has a beginning, and therefore is not eternal. This would apply to every universe before it, and no matter how many universes precede ours, eternity must still have been around longer. Though it's possible that there is no eternity and that our universe (or maybe even a multiverse, who knows?) and the ones that precede are the only existence, this is highly unlikely. Something can never come from nothing, right (I talked about this in another entry)? Therefore, there must be something that exists before our something, or our reality. Though there could be something beyond that, at some level, no matter how far, that something must be eternity. The only thing is that eternity is not a something, it's eternity.

I've mentioned on other occasions that in order for something to be eternal, it must be omnipresent, and if something is everywhere, it must be omnipotent, since if it's everything then it can do anything without limitations, because no limitations exist since it's everywhere. Eternity is therefore without bounds, and is capable of anything. The ironic thing about eternity (or more correctly, about us) is that we cannot truly comprehend the magnitude of eternity because it is outside of our existence in every way (unless eternity decided not to be...but that's hard to ascertain), given that we are effervescent. Eternity would even have the ability to not be eternal for as long as it pleases. It is impossible to understand the paradox that is eternity. Consider this paradox: if eternity made itself not eternal in a certain area, then it's omnipresence is lost, and technically, it's omnipotence would be lost - however, since it is eternal it could make itself omnipotent even if it's not eternal, and still be eternal while being effervescent, if it was omnipotent at any given point. The confines of our reality make it hard to understand the total lack of boundaries for anything eternal.

Now, even though logic would tell us that anything that is perfect and eternal could not be conscious, because consciousness requires that we are devoting our thoughts and efforts to one thing (even if only for some indiscernibly small amount of time) at any given moment, and therefore not to everything. Moreover, it is through consciousness that we can make imperfect moves or actions. Consciousness is also effervescent, since it seems to not be fully present when we are unconscious, and it goes away altogether when the brain dies. All of these things seem to indicate that consciousness is necessarily fallacious, and therefore nothing perfect can be conscious. From here it would follow that eternity must be necessarily dormant.

Despite all this, if something is eternal and therefore omnipotent, it would have the ability o give itself perfect consciousness (if it's perfect, it can consciously give itself consciousness even though it's not conscious previously, though it stands to reason that if something eternal is conscious even for only one second, that second is eternal because eternity is not bound by time) that functions in a way we cannot comprehend. This consciousness could be even be our definition of unconscious - either way it does not matter, because we cannot fully ever understand the aspects of something eternal. Why? Because words are a boundary within which their territory of meaning is contained. Since words have boundaries, and therefore do not possess an omnipresence in meaning (or anything for that matter), they cannot accurately describe something without bounds. Think of it as using water to describe outer space; though you may be able to begin to describe it, and may be able to come up with something, the full extent of the nature of outer space could not be explained through water any more than water can be explained by outer space. Even better: defining blue and giving it its own identity away from the other colors only by using the color red. Define blue with red. You can't do it. Eternity could, except it knows no boundaries. Though it is kind of pointless then to ascertain things about eternity, even a small bit of understanding about eternity can give great rewards to our lives.

Because our reality exists, I believe that there must be some sort of consciousness to eternity. It is this consciousness that decided at some point in the past, present, and future (eternity is not confined by time, and exists everywhere and everywhen note: i know that's not a word end note - even if it's creations don't) to create our reality, knowing that it would be over before it started (because eternity invariably knows the outcome of it because it has already existed beyond our existence, and still does, and always did and always will), but still thought it valuable enough to exist nonetheless. It is for this reason that I choose to believe in God, or Eternity.

I cannot ascertain what kind of consciousness God has, nor do I need to. If I understood all the dimensions of God, then I'd be higher than God, and it's impossible to be higher than Eternity. Moreover, I'm content enough as I am, and I don't care to fully understand Eternity. I have enough to do with just enjoying it's creations. I'll have all of eternity to understand Eternity, and I have now for this. Why waste my time trying to understand what only Eternity can and what I can only do once I'm eternal? Nonetheless, I always feel compelled to do so, but the thing to understand here is that Eternity is eternal, and knows no boundaries, including the boundaries of human intelligence. For reasons which are almost impossible to explain in words, I just feel that Eternity must have some kind of consciousness, or be real and thinking. No matter what, my belief in Eternity or God gives me a greater sense of peace.

Just remember: Eternity knows no bounds, and therefore our bounded thinking can never fully grasp its nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home