Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Uncertainty of What I Say

Know that nothing I say can be wholly proven. Nothing in this world can be definitively and incontrovertibly proven to everyone. I accept this. When I write my entries and everything that appears on this page, I acknowledge that this is what I hold to be the truth, but that does not mean it is truth, nor do I claim that there is any reason to believe it more valid than any other school of thought or philosophy. I am quite certain of most things I post here, but that does not make them right.

Michael Crichton said in his novel, State of Fear, that, "I am certain that there is too much certainty in this world." Being certain of something does not make it any more right. Validity comes from the quality of the knowledge, not the certainty of the bearer of that opinion.

It is important to always respect other opinions. I respect all faiths and philosophies, even if I don't agree with them or like them. It is important to not hold their views in lower esteem. "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." Friedrich Nietzsche, The Dawn, Sec. 297, German philosopher (1844 - 1900). Praise unorthodoxy, as long as it a) does not force its views on others or harm others and hinder their right to live, and b) respects orthodoxy, even if it does not agree. Fanaticism is born when people fail to accept other views.

Nietzsche also said, "There are no facts, only interpretations." All the material on these pages is my interpretation of things. It may be shared by others, it may not be. No one has to believe it any more than they might be believe anything else. These are MY views. You may accept them, refute them, adapt them, transmute them. Do as you please. I wish to help others find the security I feel like I've found in life.

Oppression of anyone else based on belief or opinion or anything is always intolerable. Since we cannot know who is really right in this world, we cannot mistreat people because of discrepancies in view points or belief. John Stuart Mill, the famous English economist and philosopher put it eloquently, "If mankind minus one were of one opinion, then mankind is no more justified in silencing the one than the one - if he had the power - would be justified in silencing mankind."

"The shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases." Carl Jung, Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961). My beliefs may work for me, but they may or may not work for you. That's fine. Everyone is different. There can be no panacea to all of life's mysteries that will bring satisfaction to all.

In closing, I want to quote Adlai E. Stevenson Jr., who spoke of the pursuit of the knowledge as such: "If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not a barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain." I pray that I may be able to be as such. With that, I close for this entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home